ADHS Archives

February 2000

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ron Roizen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 16:07:49 -0800
Hi Rod...

1,  Tracy Cameron's (1977) earliest reference to the "drunk driving
problem" was:

"Motor Wagons," 1904, (Editorial) _Quarterly Journal Inebriety_ 26, pp.
308-309.  Reprinted in _Quarterly Journal of Studies on Alcohol_, Suppl. 4,
May, 1968, opposite p. 1.

It's short but it may touch on the transition from horse-drawn to
automotive transport.

2.  I have a limited library here in Wallace, but I checked two or three
books for mentions of
drunken equine driving.  No luck.  Richard Erdoes (_Saloons of the Old
West_, New York: Alfred A.Knopf, 1979) writes delightfully about some other
kinds of intersections between the horse and
drinking/drunkenness though:

p. 17 (and regarding colonial taverns):  "Most innkeepers brought a stirrup
cup on a tray to a horseman in a hurry who did not wish to dismount--an
early example of 'drive-in' refreshment."

p. 46 (and regarding old west saloons):  "Next to or behind the saloon was
usually a livery barn.  Sometimes a cowhand with too much of a load on
would forget all about his horse, leaving it tied to the rail while
staggering off for his ranch on foot.  Some of his pals would check the
brand of his pony and turn it loose.  The smart and sober animal would go
straight home, usually overtaking its rider on the way.  Some customers had
an arrangement with the stable next door to take care of their horses if
they intended to go on a drunk of more than a day.  The town's sheriff
could read brands jus as easily as a modern city cop can read license
plates, and he would take care of the 'parking' problem if he saw a horse
tied to the rack overnight."

See pp. 217-218 for horses invited INTO bars by their drunken owners.

Ron