ADHS Archives

May 2011

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Trippel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 May 2011 21:34:55 -0500
Speaking of patent medicines of the late nineteenth century -

Under the name of Celerina, 42% alcohol (and 58% water and other
nostrums) was prominently advertised by Rio Chemical for prescription
to inebriates in the Quarterly Journal of Inebriety for many years in
the late nineteenth century.  Headlines for Celerina read "After the
Removal of Alcohol".  It seems the medical folks of the time were
either schizoid about alcohol, or simple quacks.  T. D. Crothers, the
editor of the journal, who obviously knew what Celerina was,
ironically was the prime antagonist of another quack doctor - Leslie
Keeley, who had his own secret formula to cure alcoholism.  In 1917
Celerina was advertised as "may be prescribed without the Special
Harrison Narcotic Law Prescription Blank".

I've imagined that another interesting analysis of good and bad
'drugs' in a given nation's course of history could be described in
relation to certain of their commemorative postage stamps. Some
stamps depict evil in relation to certain drugs, and others glorify
pharmaceuticals and various accepted alcoholic concoctions such as
wines.

Dave Trippel