ADHS Archives

August 2004

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jon Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:03:22 -0400
If you are after images with a national circulation, you might look
at the gift books that were produced for the families of fraternal
organizations like the Sons of Temperance. Or at something like T.S.
Arthur's Magazine which aimed for part of the Godey's / Harper's
market.

If you are looking for one journal that summarizes or represents the
whole of the temperance movement in America, I think you'll have a
hard time. There's too much variety. Maybe Horace Greeley's N.Y.
Tribune would be the closest thing to the paper of record for all the
various temperance groups.

Jon