ADHS Archives

February 2000

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ann Tlusty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 14:34:13 -0500
Dear members of the listserv:
Since the subject of my forthcoming book (The Culture of Drink in the Early
Modern German City, UVa Press, late 2000, covering the period of 1500-1700)
has come up in the course of discussions over drunken driving on horses and
other sticky legal questions, I thought this would be a good time to query
the list as to whether any of you would be interested in it for course use?
 I am supposed to provide evidence that it might be used in courses as part
of the market survey.  The book will probably be around 225-250 pages of
text, and an outline of the chapters is provided below.  Any information
that I could pass on to my publisher regarding course use would be
appreciated.  Also, even if you don't need it for a course, let me know if
you would like to receive more information when the time comes.  Please
respond to me directly (not the list) at [log in to unmask]
thank you.
Ann Tlusty
Bucknell University
List of chapters:
1. Introduction
2. City and taverns (includes the role of taverns in the Reformation,
post-Reformation events, and 30 Yrs War, also layout of taverns in the
city, relationship to Society of Orders, etc.)
3. Tavern keepers (social and economic status and so on)
4. The Drunken Body (medical and cultural constructs of drunkenness)
5. The Drunken Spirit (theological views and spiritual imagery)
6. Drunkenness and the Law (see previous message to Robin)
7. The Contract Drink Ritual (ritual uses of alcohol, anthropological meaning)
8. Drinking and Gender (household battles, male sociability and masculinity
rituals, women in taverns, women as drunkards)
9. Drinking and sociability (drinking group dynamics)
10. Social functions of the tavern (News and information, weddings,
military recruitment and quartering, journeymen's hostels, check points for
foreign visitors, city income in the form of excise taxes etc.)
11. control of taverns (how the institutions were controlled, how they
ultimately supported order rather than undermining it)
12. conclusion