ADHS Archives

July 2000

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Giles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 12:15:11 -0400
I have not followed all the recent discussion on the WCTU, as I have been
out of the country recently, but also in Evanston for two weeks at a
workshop at Northwestern University.  While there, I wondered if the WCTU
has now folded up completely.

In 1993 I paid a fascinating visit to the Frances Willard House just down
the road from the Northwestern campus.  Today the house appears to be
closed, with some workers undertaking repairs on the building, since it is
a state historical site.  There seems to be a tour once a month, and also a
rather alarming (or perhaps, enticing) notice about the sale of antiques in
the gift shop.  I wonder if that includes WCTU memorabilia?  The house was
indeed crammed with them back in '93.   All in all, the house no longer
seems to be functioning as the world headquarters of the WCTU.   That would
indeed sadden the enthusiastic old ladies who populated the place seven
years ago, though even then I know they were resigned to the fact that
there would be no next generation.

Geoffrey Giles

Professor Geoffrey J. Giles
History/PO Box 117320