ADHS Archives

August 2010

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dan Malleck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 2010 15:12:17 -0400
Hi folks
I know that in different jurisdictions in post-prohibition North
America rules about the operation of bars varied widely.

I'm thinking of things like whether or not people could (or had to)
eat a meal when ordering booze and whether or not windows would be
clear and therefore drinking would be open to the public, or blocked
or opaque, therefore protecting the impressionable eyes from the
debauchery within.  Subtle things like that.

Can anyone suggest works that look at these various characteristics?
I am aware of Campbell's _Sit down and drink your beer_ and Heron's
_Booze_ in Canada.

I think it will get to the level of relatively localized studies,
which are less easy to find, so any suggestions would be quite helpful.

Dan Malleck
Brock University