ADHS Archives

August 1998

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 13:00:17 -0700
I celebrated six years in the States last sunday, (came in on Andrew)
via Orlando and Miami.
The social aspects of alcohol are huge as I have said before, which is
why I have broken my study into volumes rather than one big syllabus. AS
lot of it is common sense though I do get the impression we are trying
to get bogged down in how this subject should start or at least provide
an acceptable ground for debate. Some of you have even asked who I am
and where I come from. Therefore, I'll give an introduction and why I
took this this upon myself, then let us start the debate.
English, 45 years old, hair going grey to white, Westminster College
graduate in England, I have an hospitality degree, 31 years in alcohol
related subjects and love this ATHG thing we all do.
My family owns a wines and spirits buisness back in England,(40 years)
and been involved in the trade for 31 years. Teach wine appreciation and
the history of alcohol in Louisville. Lecture the subject to a
simplicity
Now, debate is the best form of education--Winston Churchill 1934. House
of Commons.
Let us start with the basis in America to which we can all identify, and
also get colleagues going on the keyboard.
Our present society:--George leaves school, gets a job, company has a
product people want, another company comes along, employs Ann, who sells
the same product cheaper.(capitalism at its best). George company is now
miffed at Ann domination of the market share, decides to cut costs.
George either has to work longer or cut costs to resell
product.(family!!!) Meantime Henry and Jane have come up with a new
product which will eliminate both George and Ann. George and Ann fight
off the competition by re-inventing the wheel--upgrade. The price is
longer hours for the same money--less home life work! work!Society says
that is good, Americans have never been so well off, but family
life--give me a break (George and Ann think) Pretty soon they become so
wrapped up in what they are doing, they forget everything but work.
Bosses now get even more aggressive with George and Ann, because of the
investment and time in fighting off Henry and Jane. Oh! the Dow Jones,
is both George and Ann's secret lovers.Such is the pressure, home life
does not even gets mentioned, they look for alternative living styles.
Doctors come to their rescue, drink beer or wine--live longer. God oh
this is great. George grabs a cigar while Ann fight the right to smoke
forty a day, because she is doing such a wonderful job.Kill our kids in
school with guns nobody needs, but Martin, it's in our constitution, we
have the right to bare arms. Meanwhile, smoke seven days a week, buy
them anywhere, but don't you dare buy alcohol on a Sunday. After all, is
it not alcohol ruining family life she torts. Due to their mental state
they subconsciously ignore advice and continue drinking. Now they to
extend their hours for research, less time for the family---(whats that
claims George---finds Golf clubs offer a social way out and pick up tips
for his job--because those that matter--noooo! not his family silly! but
his boss, hangs out there). Talk shop- drink-pressure-drink-action.
Ann finally has time to see her kids,(vacation time now in slots of four
day intervals, she cannot be too long from the office, she might lose
her position) stress increases, children suffer and all because of nasty
old alcohol. None of these people are alcoholics, they just drink.
Finally George caves in and quits for the hope of the quiet life--which
he abandoned years ago and did not know it.
Thats the scenario. Now for the discussion.
Why did George really drink, was it to be social? is it something he has
to do, can religion save them? (I begin alcohol classes at the
Presbytarian church this November) and then place these people in a
social format, e.g., Colonial America around the time of the
Puritans.(now there's hypocrisy for you) Would Ann taken to drink
because of the suppressed life she then led as against the
power-consumer crazed life today? Are there comparisons? What hope for
poor George, is drink or alcohol popular because it enables him to
escape and of course return to his personal hell like many, or is it a
man made evil? If the latter is the case, then what is your description
of evil?
Arabs in London dominate floors of big hotels, bring prostitutes, drink
and party--back home--alcohol is strictly forbidden in the name of
religion. They supress there women. Why??? They do it anyway, so it
cannot be that bad-why the change? or does something lurk deeper within
ourselves, like having a good time. with alcohol--aagghh!
I believe alcohol is a brick for society and not a social evil. whether
you use it or not. Education from ten onwards should be mandatory in all
schools on how to drink responsibly, give the Rod Phillips of this world
total access to teach the subject, openly. Not have the Anns and
George's pass on their hangups, because of how they were inducted into
this world. Respect those who do not drink, of course, but educate the
positive and the negative. Then we will see better restraint, reduction
in drugs and tell Dow Jones, our families are more important.therefore,
when teaching or writing the subject, the structure of society is
paramount from week one. If you agree with this, where will your
interpretations of society begin?
If you dislike alcohol or not use it, no problem with that, but give
your reason, no-one going to shoot you for it.(besides taste, that's
boring and ineffective. If you do not drink, how do you know what it
taste like)
If, like me you have a drink--I have a bottle of wine everyday with my
wife, candlelit dinner, despite research, traveling and writing for 14
hours, I spend two hours talking to my wife. My doctor claims that is
healthy.Does alcohol provide the excuse for my dinner chat? If it does,
why?
Lots of questions and hopefully some of you will come out of the closet
and get this debate fired up.Let's see what you guys are made off. I do
not want to be sent to sleep, people like Rod Phillips, Joe Marmo and me
need your help. Hard positive answers, answers that will help us all.
Maybe I am a nut---waiting to be cracked open, if that is the case,
someone get the nut cracker, I'm ready to play a tune!
Martin Platts  h.c.i.m.a.
I have deliberately left gaps in this opening scenario to see what traps
you guys fall into----and believe me you will!!!
Martin Platts  h.c.i.m.a.