ADHS Archives

January 1998

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 15:08:48 -0000
Dear List Members,

Please give me any feedback/corrections on this idea:

I can only speculate as to the development of the "bar" as a place to stand
in front of (as opposed to sitting at a table) in early American Taverns.

Please bear in mind that this is only semi-educated guess... Any
corrections/criticism would be greatly appreciated.

In frontier times it was the "tavern" that tamed the wilderness, partly
because of the fact that it was a family establishment. This meant people
did more than just drink in them. They got meals, lodging, news, held town
meetings in them (and of course shelter from the elements).
As time went on a new type of public house began to emerge, one that had as
its primary purpose the serving of drink. These places catered less and less
to the other functions of the old tavern.
So in short, if all someone wanted to do in the place was drink, then why
did
he need a table to sit at? Why not give him a stool or log to sit at (a
long communal type table that resembled a "bar" more that a table)?
I would guess this type of place began to emerge in Eastern New York State
around 1800-1830.
Please note I could be very wrong about this, but it does seem plausible to
me...

Regards, Steve Powell

Visit History On-Line at:
http://www.historian.org