ADHS Archives

November 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
jim baumohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 15:10:32 -0500
dr. kohler.  jon miller's response is more general and useful than this
one, but you might also see my discussion of dashaway hall in san
francisco, erected on lower post street in 1868 by the dashaway
association, a popular, neo-washingtonian temperance organization founded
in 1859 and active until the late 1880s.  see j. baumohl, DASHAWAYS AND
DOCTORS:  THE TREATMENT OF HABITUAL DRUNKARDS IN SAN FRANCISCO FROM THE
GOLD RUSH TO PROHIBITION (university of california, berkeley, 1986).  this
property, and the facility of the san francisco home for the care of the
inebriate, figured in a melodramatic scandal in the 1890s which resulted in
california's law governing the distribution of property amassed originally
for charitable purposes.  dashaway hall was used essentially as jon
suggests in his brief discussion of other temperance halls.  it burned down
in the aftermath of the april 1906 earthquake, but there is a photo (circa
1878, as i recall) in the bancroft library in berkeley.  jb