ADHS Archives

October 2005

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Linda Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:55:17 -0400
I have just completed editing the diary of a whiskey rectifier who lived
in Cincinnati and St. Louis, 1847-1864.  His name was Joseph Mersman,
and his record contains a half-dozen recipes for making (40-gallon
quantities) flavored alcoholic drinks.  Whiskey was the main ingredient.

This book will be published by the Ohio University Press in Spring 2007
as
A Self-Made Man:  The Private Life of Joseph J. Mersman, Whiskey
Merchant.

Linda A. Fisher

Linda A. Fisher, MD, MPH
4026 Woodland Road