ADHS Archives

September 2000

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robin Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 2000 00:10:30 +0200
David --
    I was told by Joy Moser of WHO in the late 1970s that the
law/regulations had been changed then in Britain so that the wife (spouse?)
had a right to know what the husband (spouse?) was being paid.  This was a
response to the fact that a working class custom still at that time in
Britain was for the man to take out his "spending money" and give the rest
to the wife for household expenses.  And when he got a raise, it was very
tempting just to keep on handing over the same amount....
    You will find much manoeuvring around paydays and drinking, with women
usually playing a leading role, in developing societies today.  In Port
Moresby, PNG, at least as of a few years ago, liquor stores were closed on
Friday because it was payday.  In Tennent's Creek, Northern Territory,
Australia, an aboriginal interest group, with much input from women, managed
to get the local pubs closed on the day the welfare and paychecks arrived --
the slogan was "buy the food first!".  See Alexis wright, Grog War, Broome,
WA: Magabala Books Aboriginal Corporation, 1997.   Robin