ADHS Archives

October 2001

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jon Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 20:33:39 -0400
From: "litcrit" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "CFP from Upenn" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: UPDATE: Food and Culture (12/10/01; SW/TX PCA/ACA, 2/13/02-2/17/02)
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 08:56:39 -0500
Sender: [log in to unmask]

New deadline: 12/10/01

  CFP: FOOD AND CULTURE 12/10/01  ALBUQUERQUE 2/13-17/02

Call for Papers:  Food and Culture 11/15/01
Albuquerque   2/13-17/02

This call for papers is for the Food and Culture Area of the
Southwest/Texas Popular Culture/American Culture Regional Conference,
which will be held February 13th-17th at the Albuquerque Hilton in
Albuquerque NM.

Despite the title of the conference, this area has had international
guests in its two year history.  Among our presenters, we have had Erika
Endrijonas, Sherrie Inness, author of Kitchen Culture:  Popular
Representations of American Women in Cooking, and Carole Counihan, editor
of The Anthropology of Food and Body:  Gender, Meaning and Power, and
co-editor of the upcoming Food, Feminism and Food (along with previous
presenters Darla Williams and Beverly Skinner), and Anne L. Bower, editor
of the reclaimed The Historical Cookbook of the American Negro.

Previous presentations have included:

"It's a Conspiracy:  Nature+Nuture=3DFat"
"An Edible Account:  Food in Colonial American Travel
Narratives"
"The Meaning of Food in Toni Morrison's Beloved:  Feast
or Famine?"
"Political Commensality in Anna and the King"
"Gardens of Subsistence and Health"
"A Loaf of Bread, a Jug of Wine and Thou Beside Me in
the Kitchen: The Erotic in Cookbooks"

This year, we'd like to see as many varied panels as possible.  While
we're always happy to have presentations such as we've listed above, there
are so many more aspects of Food and Culture to explore, such as:

Sugar, Sugar:  The Cadence and Calories of Courting
Fast cars, Fast Women and Fast food:  How the Fast Food
Culture Shapes Americans
"At Least You Can Eat Like a Man": Gender in Food
Commercials
Taking the Whiners out of the Winery:  Food Museums and
Displays
California Kosher:  The New Multicultural Cookbooks
Presidential Pantries:  From the White House to the
Neighbor's House
Chocolate Chemistry and Psychology

Please send a 300-400 word abstract no later than Nov.

Amy Becker-Chambless
Dept. of English
MS 3091
Texas Tech University
Lubbock, TX 79409
amy.becker-chambless.ttu.edu

Electronic submissions are encouraged, as is advance warning on any
scheduling concerns and equipment needs.  While we cannot guarantee that
we can answer all of them, we will certainly try!

For more information, see our websites at

         http://www.swtexaspca.org
        http://www.Hilton.com/en/h./groups/private_groups/pca2002/index.jhtml
         http://www2.h-net.msu/edu/~swpca

If you wish to have your books at the show, please contact Judy Lohr at