ADHS Archives

October 2005

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Rod Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:16:23 -0500
Rush clearly had a purpose in denying that Roman soldiers had access to
wine, but he was not quite right to say that they drank only vinegar.

What Rush calls "vinegar" was probably posca, a mixture of water and sour
wine. The sour wine had not yet turned to vinegar, probably had some of
the flavour of wine, and retained some alcohol, though at lower levels
than wine.

Wounded Roman soldiers were given wine as medicine, and there is also
evidence that Roman soldiers were given wine (the real stuff) on occasion
and had opportunities to purchase it.

Rod Phillips