ADHS Archives

October 2001

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jon Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 14:17:40 -0400
Charles,

Thanks for this opportunity to remind listserv members that now would
be a good time to pay their ATHG dues for the 2001-2002 academic
year. There is information telling how to pay dues in the back of
each issue of the SHAR and the same can also be found at our website:
http://www.athg.org

To explain the connection - I'm making a renewal postcard for the
ATHG that reproduces a interior view of the Juarez Jockey Club around
1926. We have an elegant bartender in the center, the owners and some
regulars on the left, and a clear view of the liquor bottles behind
the bar on the right. As soon as I am able to adjust the black levels
in this digital photograph (I'm waiting for help from the printer),
I'll have it off for production.

Gordon's Dry Gin appears to be a liquor of choice in the Jockey Club,
though bottles of Vermouth and Port and also conspicuous beneath the
bar along with other bottles with illegible but probably
characteristic labels. The Jockey Club also appears to have served
most of its most popular hard liquors from unlabeled bottles (five of
seven) that may or may not be identifiable by designs in the glass of
the bottle itself.

Jon