ADHS Archives

August 1998

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 19:42:27 -0700
SCOTT HOWELL wrote:

> My name is Scott Howell.  I am the director of an external degree
> program at Brigham Young University.  In your research, are you aware
> of interstate differences for granting alcohol licenses.  Which states are
> most conservative and which ones are most liberal?
>
> Our community is trying to convince the city council to NOT approve a
> hard liquor license at the local golf course and it would be helpful to
> have some benchmarks for what other areas are doing.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott Howell, PhD
KENTUCKY. Cannot buy wine from another state unless you either;
bring it in yourself or go through a licensed wine distributor.
you are not permitted to observe wine or spirits in a shop on sunday,
they have to be covered over, but you can buy as much beer as you want.
The local gas station is actually promoting bud light near a filling
pump.
Indiana. no beer or wine on sunday except in a restaurant selling food.
Pennsylavania, beer only on sundays. no drinking alcohol on sundays
until after 6.00 pm.
New York is like England, totally heathen, anytime any place.
Regards to the club. In my research why people join clubs I have
discovered the following;
1. to enjoy the sport  (so why drink??)
2. forget their spouse (especially at a golf club)
3. inchangeable personality trait.
If your golf club is anything like the ones I have visited these last
six years in America, you have more chance of winning the powerball than
stopping the bar with alcohol getting open.
Next time you see a round of golf, watch who attends, body language
(besides the actually playing of a shot) and there is your real answer.
hope and wish you luck.
martin Platts  h.c.i.m.a.