ADHS Archives

March 1998

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Andrew Barr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 06:21:47 -0500
What I forgot to mention in my previous message was the relationship, or
lack of it, between the UK Alliance and the UK Temperance Alliance. As of a
couple of years ago, the UK Alliance was run on a shoestring by an old
gentleman called the Rev. Bernard Kinman. Its role is educational and it
continues to advocate total abstinence. Its aim is "to secure legislation
to protect the nation's life from the damaging effects of alcohol, to
campaign against alcohol and to provide education in the temperance field."
When the UK Temperance Alliance was set up in 1938 its role was to carry
out the educational work of the UK Alliance, which was then a political
organisation. There was a gradual separation of the two organisations
during the 1950s and 1960s, which had become a total separation by the
1980s, partly because Derek Rutherford and Bernard Kinman did not get on.
The UK Temperance Alliance and the Institute of Alcohol Studies are not as
anti-alcohol as the UK Alliance, their aim being to promote moderation and
support abstinence.