ADHS Archives

September 2000

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"David M. Fahey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 07:55:52 -0700
I come from a railroading family.   My father was a machinist, working for
several decades for the New York Central (now Penn Central).  I recall
being told that the unions had arranged with management to change from a
monthly (?) pay period to a weekly one.  A protest from wives, who feared
that more frequent paydays would mean more frequently drunken husbands,
forced a compromise (bi-weekly, perhaps).  My memory of all of this is
hazy.  I think that the time was late 1940s.  Does anyone else know of
cases of gendered protests against frequent paydays as a result of paydays
being associated with drunkenness and squandering family resources?