ADHS Archives

October 1996

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Mark C. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 15:43:22 -0500
I teach a senior American Studies/History seminar entitled American
Cultural History of Alcohol and Drugs here at the University of Texas.  One
of my students has come to me with an interesting topic on the changing
production and use of moonshine liquor and the bootlegging industry during
and after the Prohibition era.  He has some great oral history from his own
sources but we've had difficulty finding secondary sources on the topic.
There are sources such as Wilbur Miller's <Revenuers and Moonshiners> for
the 19th century but even they generally concentrate on the revenue issue
rather than the culture of moonshine.
Can anyone help us on this?  Thanks.

Mark C. Smith
American Studies and History