ADHS Archives

August 2001

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kathel Kerr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 08:29:48 -0700
Pamela E. Pennock will be completing a dissertation on controling the
marketing of alcohol and tobacco in the US after 1945.  I will read her
draft of the last chapters at the end of August when I return to campus.
She will defend in December.  I am quite pleased with the work so far.  She
and I have written a paper together which we have submitted to a journal.

Pam needs a job.  hint hint

Austin Kerr
Ohio State University

On Sat, 4 Aug 2001 06:38:55 -0400, Alcohol and Temperance History Group
wrote:

>  It is now the twenty-first century, but I see little research relevant to
>  the ATHG for my own lifetime (born 1937).  The parts of the world that I
>  know best are North America and the British Isles.  For the USA, most
>  research deals with the period before National Prohibition, with a
>  postscript for National Prohibition itself.  I think the story is similar
>  for Canada; in the words of one historian, from the canal age to the
Great
>  Depression.  For the British Isles, scholars have written about times as
>  early as the late Middle Ages and sometimes go up to the era of the First
>  World War but overwhelmingly focus on the Victorian era.  It is easy to
>  find more recent topics: for instance, in the USA the controversy over
when
>  and what young people can drink (and the widespread violation of the
>  law).  Perhaps the best way to approach the "recent" period is to ask
what
>  questions, addressed to drink and sobriety, might illuminate a larger
>  historical story.  This may help us avoid antiquarianism and
unpublishable
>  manuscripts.  Suggestions?

K. Austin Kerr
Dept. of History