ADHS Archives

December 2005

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Courtwright, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 2005 09:28:10 -0500
Dan:

One possibility is Alfred R. Lindesmith, The Addict and the Law, which is a clearly written, historically oriented, and archetypically liberal statement of the harms that flow from criminalizing addiction. The only problem with Lindesmith's position, as Acker and I and others have pointed out, is that, historically, the causality ran in both directions: a change in the composition of the addict population (i.e., more lower class urban male "junkies") precipitated a hardening of policy, which in turn exacerbated the health, behavior, and public image of the users.

David

David T. Courtwright
John A. Delaney Presidential Professor
Dept. of History