ADHS Archives

November 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Linda Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 10:03:57 -0600
Dear Colleagues:
I need some help in interpreting a 19c diary kept by a merchant in
Cincinnati and St. Louis.  A whiskey rectifier, the German immigrant
describes setting up distilling equipment, purchasing raw whiskey from
Kenucky, rectifying it in St. Louis, and distributing it retail  in St.
Louis and whole sale to New Orleans.  His record contains some recipes
for mixing beverages---50 gallons at a time.

Can you suggest some readings on the subject that would provide
background for me?  I expect to go to Bardstown and Louisville to
research the subject, and would like to know something before I present
myself to libraries and archives in that state.   Please respond to this
e-mail address or write to:

Linda A. Fisher
4501 Lindell Blvd.   #7G
St. Louis, MO   63108-2050