ADHS Archives

May 1998

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Andrew Barr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 May 1998 06:18:22 -0400
The Brewers and Licensed Retailers Association (previously called the
Brewers' Society) has for years published a statistical handbook which
covers this sort of thing. I don't know whether it still does so, but it
does have a web site at http://www.blra.co.uk which might be of some use.

Off the top of my head, here in Britain sales of beer in pubs are declining
but sales of beer in supermarkets and off-licences for drinking at home are
increasing (despite the enormous amount that the brewing industry keeps on
telling us is smuggled over from the Continent on account of our
iniquitously high rates of duty).

Internationally, the trend is for wine-producing and traditional
wine-drinking countries to consume less wine and more beer (which I think
is probably true of France and Italy, say) but for beer-producing and
traditional beer-drinking countries to consume less beer and more wine
(certainly this has been true for Britain and I would expect it to be true
of Australia and New  Zealand as well. The latter may be well known for
making wine nowadays, but they made very little, and very few people drank
the stuff, until very recently.)

Germany is a bit of anomaly: we tend to think of it as a beer-producing
country but actually it also makes (and drinks) quite a lot of wine. It
might at least be reasonable to assume that beer consumption is falling in
the north of the country and wine consumption increasing. This may well not
be true, however, for the Rhineland and Bavaria.