ADHS Archives

November 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robin Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 19:09:21 +0100
There's a lovely description of Dashaway Hall (established in 1862 in San Francisco) and the activities there on pp. 406-407 of Jim Baumohl's "On asylums, homes, and moral treatment: the case of the San Francisco Home for the Care of the Inebriate, 1859-1870", Contemporary Drug Problems 13: 395-445, 1986.  "In addition to private clubrooms, and a library and reading rooms open to members at all hours, it contained a gallery that seated 1,000 people in front of a stage 50 feet wide".
    Also see Jim's dissertation (Dashaways and Doctors...", DSW, University of California, Berkeley, 1986; University Microfilms order # 87-17864), which contains an account of what became a tontine as the membership dwindled later in the century, with one surviving member murdering another over control of the now-valuable property of the society.  Robin