ADHS Archives

July 2005

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dan Malleck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2005 16:53:06 -0400
Not directly what you wanted, but today I was going through some stuff from
1934 and there was a string of "poison alcohol deaths" in New York State in
1934 related to "bootleggers" mixing whiskey with wood alcohol.  Very
coincidental.  It would be worth it for that producer to know that the wood
alcohol poisonings and illicit drink manufacturing did not end with the
repeal of the 18th amendment.  I can find a more precise date if you'd like

Dan

At 11:43 PM 7/7/2005, you wrote:

>I have been asked by a TV  producer to estimate how many deaths occurred
>under American prohibition through the consumption of methanol.  I told
>him I had no idea, but that I would ask around.  I am away at my summer
>home and without most of my library.
>
>I also told him that any estimate was highly suspect because of the
>propaganda nature of most claims at the time.
>
>Austin Kerr
>
>Prof. Emeritus, Ohio State University

Dan Malleck, PhD
Assistant Professor, Community Health Sciences
Brock University
500 Glenridge Ave
St. Catharines, Ontario
L2S 3A1