ADHS Archives

May 2011

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
James Nicholls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2011 21:00:30 +0100
A quick scan of the OED finds this early usage:

1668    P. Rycaut Present State Ottoman Empire ii. xvi. 114   'They have many times license from their Superiour, to be drunk or intoxicate themselves with Aqua vitae, Opium, or any stupifying Drugs, to be better able to perform with more spirit and vehemency their mad Dance.'

Again, spirits seem to be singled out as more druggy than beer or wine....