ADHS Archives

August 2004

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jon Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:42:02 -0400
Lisa, Some if not much of the local content had regional or national
circulation as editors freely copied whatever they wanted from other
papers. A paragraph in a local Ohio temperance paper might be copied
from a New York paper. Or it might get copied into a New York paper.
For part of the century - how much I'm not sure - newspapers could
exchange copies through the mail without paying postage. So local
papers could travel anywhere and everywhere. Also many editors had a
bad reputation for copying material and not crediting the original
source. A poem on the front page of an Ohio temperance paper might
look like original content but actually be copied from another paper.
Or from Mrs. Sigourney's Works. That doesn't answer your question, I
know, but it's something to consider as you look for an answer to
your question. Jon