ADHS Archives

March 2007

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Dick B." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 15:54:54 -1000
For those who had the pleasure of viewing the new movie Amazing Grace, you
might find my friend and noted British writer Garth D. Lean's "Brave Men
Choose." It shows the activity of William Wilberforce in elimination of the
slave trade and also in other betterment activities. Reference is made to
the Quaker activity. Just a thought. I really didn't know that Wilberforce
was such an important historical figure, nor that he played such a role in
elimination of slavery itself as well as the slave trade, nor that he
observed the practice of spending two hours or so each morning with God and
journaling his questions and the answers he received. A precursor I suppose,
not only to the quiet waiting, but also to the Quiet Hour practices of
United Christian Endeavor, the Morning Watch practices of the YMCA, the
articles by the Congregational leader F.B. Meyer on the subject of Quiet
Time, and then the great influence of all these on the original A.A. program
- especially the quiet times spent in the morning with Anne Ripley Smith at
the Smith home where there was prayer, Bible reading, seeking of guidance,
discussion of the points, and group prayer. Every morning! Dick B.

Richard G. Burns (Dick B.)
Post Office Box 837
Kihei, Maui, HI 96753-0837
(808) 874-4876