ADHS Archives

June 2010

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robin G W Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 2010 06:48:23 +0200
David and David,
  3.2 beer lasted in California as the only beer sold in off-sales within a
mile of Berkeley, Davis, and I think at least some other California campuses
until the 1970s.  Below are abstracts of two studies which looked at this
change.
  Incidentally, the current rule in the European Union allows beer up to 2.2%
to be treated as a nonalcoholic beverage (as Sweden does, for instance -- it is
legal for Swedish kids to buy and consume it). Sweden counts 2.8% beer as being
an alcoholic beverage, but does not apply an alcohol tax to it.
     Robin

Fillmore-K-M; Wittman-F-D. Effects of availability of alcohol on college
student drinking: A trend study. Contemporary Drug Problems, 11(3):455-492,
1982. (075597)
   Repeal of a California law banning sales of alcohol within one mile of
university campuses provided an opportunity to examine the effects of
availability on college students' drinking patterns. Questionnaires were mailed
to random samples of students on two campuses when the repeal became effective
in January 1979 and again two years later. Shelf stock of alcohol in outlets
was used as the availability factor. After repeal of the sales ban, existing
stock space increased, but few new outlets opened. Students were asked about
quantity and frequency of drinking by beverage in the past week; setting where
beverages were consumed; time, place, and companions for drinking; drinking
problems and experiences; purchase patterns for the past week; and demographic
variables, including place of residence. During the two-year period, other
factors affecting purchase and consumption of alcohol occurred, including a
price war. The demographics of students surveyed changed, and their disposable
income rose. The second survey showed a downward trend in consumption of
alcoholic beverages, particularly liquor and wine, and an increase in
abstainers. As predicted, older students drank more than younger students, and
males drank more than females. However, students drank more at home and when
alone than predicted. Consumption in the middle ranges seems to have
stabilized, perhaps as a result of saturation of the market or price rises as a
percentage of disposable income. 32 Ref.

Wittman-F-D. Tale of two cities: Policies and practices in the local control of
alcohol availability. Berkeley, Alcohol Research Group, Oct 1980. 190 p.
(049923)
    Effective January 1, 1979, the California Legislature repealed restrictions
on the off-sale of wine and liquor close to University of California campuses
in nine cities throughout the state. Prior to repeal, the UC campuses had been
ringed by "dry zones" of from one to three miles within which only beer could
be sold off-sale, i.e., for consumption off the premises where it was
purchased. This study uses the aftermath of the repeal to investigate generally
the operation of policies and practices in the local control of alcohol
availability, and to observe specifically the local effects of the repeal. The
progress to date on a continuing study of two of the nine campus communities is
summarized. 57 Ref.