ADHS Archives

March 1997

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jonathan Highfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 11:29:07 -0500
I have a colleague here at RISD, Michael Fink, who asked me whether there
was much Jewish participation in bootlegging during Prohibition. It is part
of a research project on Jewish Providence, which he has discovered was an
important port on both the southern and northern maritime smuggling routes.
He asked if I knew of any publications that would highlight the Jewish role
in bootlegging, especially on the east coast. He seemed to think that
Seagrams might be involved and thus the route would be from Canada south
to Providence. I told him I'd pass the question along to the group.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Jonathan Highfield
Rhode Island School of Design