ADHS Archives

November 2001

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Nora Kilbane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:17:27 -0500
Greetings,

I recently ran across a reference (in a 19th century American
periodical) to a beverage called "blackstrap" being carried by a
farmhand in an earthenware jug. I would guess that the name refers to
the type of molasses used to make it, but I am wondering about its
other components. Was this a common drink and was it alcoholic?

I have run through a number of sources on early American beverages
with no leads. Thanks for any tips.

--
Nora C. Kilbane
Assistant Curator, Visual Resources Library