ADHS Archives

November 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 13:00:35 EST
From: Rod Phillips, History Department, Carleton University, Ottawa

Regarding the Hugh Johnson video series on the history of wine, entitled
"Vintages": I'm not sure how far ATHG discussion got as to how the
video might be obtained, but it might help to know it was made (or at least
co-produced) by WGBH (PBS) Boston.   No doubt the station can help locate
copies or has them for sale.

I've seen the whole series, though in bits and pieces rather than
coherently, so my sense of it might be warped.   The quality is very
mixed and of course it's massively oversimplified for popular viewing. It
includes some history, but most of it deals with the present-day with a
lot of assertions about "traditional" practices.  It's geared very
much to elite and fine wines, and it's also unintentionally humorous at
times, as you will find if you watch the segment on port tasting in
Savannah.

Still, it's a starting point, and if anyone tries to get a copy I would
like to know the result.

As for other films, I have a feeling A&E has done something on brewing in
the US and there MUST be documentaries on the temperance movement.  Again,
I would like to know of any that come to light.

Roderick Phillips
Editor, Journal of Family History/
Professor, Department of History
Carleton University
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1S 5B6
Tel: (613) 520-2600 ext 2824; fax: (613) 520-2819
Email address: [log in to unmask]