ADHS Archives

August 1998

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Marty Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 08:46:04 -0500
        This is my experience too. The most extended treatment
of the subject that I remember is in connection with the pro-opium
testimony before the 1893 Royal Commission on the Opium trade (testifying
that opium consumption is much more benign than alcohol consumption, that
it never leads to violence as alcohol does). I would look in Berridge and
Edwards or Terry Parssinen's SECRET PASSIONS.

Marty Roth
University of Minnesota