ADHS Archives

March 1998

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Andrew Barr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 02:03:18 -0500
I've had a couple of requests for the source of the quotation on alcohol
and crime that I posted yesterday. It is from Evelyn L. Fanshawe, "Liquor
Legislation in the United States and Canada" (London, 1893), British
Library shelfmark 8436 c 13. I was originally directed to this book by
Brian Inglis' history of drugs, which quotes from it at some length. It
certainly offers the best record I have been able to find here in England
of liquor legislation in the United States at the end of the nineteenth
century. It was commissioned by William Rathbone, a member of the British
Parliament opposed to prohibition, who wanted to produce evidence from the
United States that the best solution to drink problems lay in proper
enforcement of existing laws. There is a biography of Rathbone by his
daughter Eleanor (London, 1905), British Library shelfmark 10827 g 4. I
know nothing more about Fanshawe than what can be gleaned from these books
and would be delighted to hear from anyone who knows or is able to find out
anything more about him.