ADHS Archives

November 1995

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Giles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 12:20:55 -0500
Dear Melissa,
The standard article for us alcohol historians on Hogarth's Gin Lane, and
Beer Street, is a wonderful piece by Hans Medick, translated into English
and appearing in a collection of essays in book form,...I think!  Couldn't
put my finger on my copy of it this morning.  I am just back from a
conference in New Orleans, and am heading out this week to run a symposium
at the German Historical Institute in Washington, DC, so I am a bit pressed
for time.  I will, however, try to track it down when I have a moment.
Best, Geoffrey Giles

>Sender:       Alcohol and Temperance History Group <[log in to unmask]>
>Poster:       Melissa Raven <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Gin Lane
>
>Can anyone enlighten me about Hogarth's Gin Lane, or direct me to some
>written information about it? I've only seen captions and one-sentence text
>references to it.
>
>There are lots of details whose significance I don't understand, e.g. what
>is the central woman holding? what is the man on the far left doing with a
>saw? I often use it as an overhead, and I'd really like to be able to
>explain it more.
>
>I know there is also a Beer Street(?) but it is rarely published.
>
>Thanks
>Melissa Raven
>PS many thanks for the helpful responses a while back when I asked about 25
>years ago and 25 years hence.

Professor Geoffrey J. Giles
Department of History
P.O. Box 117320