ADHS Archives

March 1998

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David M Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 09:39:31 -0500
My understanding is that in 1960s and 1970s (and perhaps more
recently) the principal income of the United Kingdom Temperance
Alliance (and its parent, the UKA) came from rentals of offices in
the headquarters building that it owned at Caxton Street in London.
When I first did research there the Alliance was squeezed into a
fairly small space in order to increase the rentals.  Later the
Alliance occupied a larger portion of the building.

I should add that when I visited Caxton Street in the 1960s and the
1970s I never recall hearing the name the United Kingdom Temperance
Alliance.  It was always the United Kingdom Alliance or simply the
Alliance or the UKA.  I first was told that the proper name was the
United Kingdom Temperance Alliance when I presented a copy of a book
that I had published in 1988.  Then, when thanking me, the librarian,
told me that the name that I should have used in my acknowledgements
was the United Kingdom Temperance Alliance.

Re the Institute of Alcohol Studies I should add that it published
the Good Templar magazine called the Globe (and Derek Rutherford, the
director of the Institute, is the editor).