ADHS Archives

March 1997

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jessica Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 10:16:36 -0500
** Confidential **
** High Priority **

For a competent overview on the subject, see: Warner, Rebecca H., and
Henry L. Rosett. The Effects of Drinking on Offspring. An Historical
Survey of the American and British Literature. Journal of Studies on
Alcohol 36, no. 11 (1975): 1395-1420.

Also, two of my articles touch on the subject of fetal alcohol syndrome in
early modern England, viz: Warner, Jessica. In Another City, in Another
Time: Rhetoric and the Creation of a Drug Scare in Eighteenth-century
London. Contemporary Drug Problems 21, no. 3 (1994): 485-511; and
The Sanctuary of Sobriety. The Emergence of Temperance as a Feminine
Virtue in Tudor and Stuart England. Addiction 92, no. 1 (1997): 97-110.

And finally, Lee Kaskutas at the Alcohol Research Group in Berkeley has
written about the recent resurgence of interest in FAS; she is rightfully
very critical of the research, which suffers from lumping together
pregnant women who have several drinks a day with those who have
one or fewer per day. I#m not sure, however, if the paper has been
published.