ADHS Archives

August 2006

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Courtwright, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2006 16:19:08 -0400
Dave:

I can't speak for others, but I finished my dissertation on the history of opiate addiction in 1979 (published three years later as Dark Paradise). I'm sure that I never would have chosen that topic had it not been for the Nixon-era ferment in drug treatment and drug policy. There was also a lot going on in the alcohol and public health fields that may have contributed to a similar lagged scholarly effect, with 1979 the coincidental "modal" year for that wave of scholarship. But wave there surely was.

For the sake of comparison, think about the history of slavery. Several blockbusters appeared in the mid-1970s (e.g., Fogel and Engerman, Genovese, Edmund Morgan's American Slavery, American Freedom). Why? Surely the renewed interest of major scholars in the subject had something to do with the centrality of race and civil rights in American History in the 1960s. That interest, with suitable time for research and editing, eventually produced several monumental works. My hunch is that new interest and new approaches (not to say new funding) in the drug and alcohol fields in the late 1960s and early 1970s bore historical fruit about ten years later. But I could be projecting my own experience, and so I offer this explanation only as a hypothesis.

David Courtwright