ADHS Archives

March 1998

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Laura A. Schmidt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 13:12:00 -0800
I would highly recommend to you a short piece by Joel Bernard on the
continuity between Protestant traditions of fasting and the temperance
ethic: "From Fasting to Abstinence: The Origins of the American
Temperance Movement" in Susanna Barrows and Robin Room, Drinking Behavior
and Belief in Modern History, 1991, UC Press.  His account of the logic
behind abstaining from alcohol in some Protestant sects seems really
right to me. Laura Schmidt

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, David Fahey wrote:

> http://h-net2.msu.edu/logs/showlog.cgi?ent=0&file=h-rural.log9802b&list=h-rura
>
> >  HHHHHH  HHHHHHHHHHHH  HHHHHHHHHHHH  HHHHHHHHHHHH  HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HH
> HH HH H EEEETTTTT  Humanities & Social Sciences OnLineHHHHHH  H  H H E     T
> World Wide Web SiteHHHHHH  H H  H EEE   THHHHHH  H HH H E     THHHHHH  H HH H
EE