ADHS Archives

January 1998

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Hans Krabbendam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 08:09:59 GMT
It seems to me that David Fahey mapped out two very relevant themes for an
international comparative temperance history conference. I did some research
about these two questions, the American prohibition impact and the role of
religion, for the Netherlands, and would love to compare results with other
countries. I like to add a third subject: the role that women could play in
temperance organizations in various countries. The brilliant suggestion of
David Levine of temperance and non-temperance cultures could provide a very
useful framework.
Does anyone feel called to organize such a conference? Or have such meetings
already taken place? Have the papers presented at the 1997 AHA convention on
'Prohibition in Cross-Cultural Perspective' been published?

Hans Krabbendam
Roosevelt Study Center
Middelburg, the Netherlands