ALAS Archives

February 2004

ALAS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Joseph Coury <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:00:13 -0500
We all would like to see Latino applications be this high.  However I
believe that Alta misinterpreted the article.  If you look closer in the
article you will see that they mean that Latino applications are UP 48%
from the amount of prospective Latino students who applied last year.
Which means that if we look at numbers there was only about 40 Latino
students who were admitted in the class of 2007, so we can assume that
applications were a little higher.  That means when it comes down to the
numbers, we are realistically looking at about a real increase of 50-60
students who APPLIED for admission to this university.  Meaning they have
not been excepted.  Seeing that the applications are so low and that
Latino students make the smallest minority on campus at 1.4% of the
student body while Latinos make up 14.7% of the US population.  This is a
great reason to why we should work to make ALAS better for next year.
Also I know that some people have class at 3:00 so is there any way for
next time we pick a more encompassing time so that we can assure
participation by the whole community.  Also on the website I was looking
and I want to congratulate ALAS on a amazing site.  However, while
browsing the site I found that Jose and I who paid our dues in ALAS and
have participated actively in ALAS since the second semester do not have
their names on the members list.  Thank you for you're time and I hope all
is well for everyone.

Peace be Upon You,

Joseph Coury [Khouri]