CER Archives

December 2009

CER@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Collard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 10:25:36 -0500
To: CER listserv subscribers
Subject: CWCS workshops for faculty

Dear Colleague:

It is a pleasure to announce the 2010 schedule of workshops organized under the auspices of the NSF-sponsored Center for Workshops in the Chemical Sciences (CWCS). These workshops provide a background and modern perspective on various topics in the chemical sciences, along with methods to introduce these topics into the college curriculum. Attendance at the workshops is FREE. More information and the online application are available at: http://chemistry.gsu.edu/CWCS

- Nucleic Acids – May 23-28    NEW!
- Teaching Guided-Inquiry Organic Labs – June 6-11
- Research Based Laboratory Curriculum – June 13-18
- Introductory Forensic Science – June 20-25
- Chemistry of Art – June 20-25    NEW LOCATION!
- Renewable Energy – July 11-16   NEW!
- Supporting Student Lab Learning – July 11-16
- Green Chemistry – July 17-23
- Food Chemistry – July 25-30   NEW!
- Computational Chemistry – August 1-7    NEW LOCATION!

In addition, we are continuing our series of "advanced" workshops. These are designed for returning participants with some experience using the topics as a foundation for teaching science.

- Advanced Chemistry of Art – June 2-7

The CWCS workshop program is open to faculty and instructional staff at two-year and four-year colleges, and universities, as well as post-docs and advanced graduate students who plan to embark on a career in teaching college-level chemistry. Registration, accommodations and a per diem for food are provided at no cost to participants. Some assistance to cover the cost of travel to the workshop might also be available.

We hope that you will consider attending one of the workshops and that you will also bring this program to the attention of your colleagues. Some of the workshops have a long history of engaging faculty in new areas and providing great support for enhancing the curriculum at a variety of colleges.

Thank you for passing along this information. We hope to meet you and your colleagues at workshops in the near future.

With regards,

David Collard

The Center of Workshops in the Chemical Sciences (CWCS) is supported by the NSF CCLI program as a Phase III project.

The Center is co-directed by:
  J.C. Smith, Georgia State University
  David M. Collard, Georgia Institute of Technology
  Lawrence J. Kaplan, Williams College
  Pat Hill, Millersville University.

From 2002 to 2009, more than 1500 individuals have attended 98 CWCS workshops at 28 different locations. Aspects of the impact of the program at a wide variety of institutions are discussed on the CWCS website: www.chemistry.gsu.edu/CWCS

Be on the lookout for CWCS-sponsored symposia at both national ACS meetings and the BCCE in 2010!

--
David M. Collard
Professor and Associate Chair

phone: (404) 894-4026