CLEANACCESS Archives

December 2005

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John Stauffacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 09:53:11 -0800
This brings up an interesting question -- one that I had at deployment
time (almost 2yrs ago) and recently revistited when we had a drive
failure in our CAS.

Where is the kernel source?

IIRC most of the software (save for the admin interface) is open source
software, and either GPL'd, BSD or LGPL'd (even the Click router
module), but where are all the sources? Perfigo balked when I asked for
the source so I could build the driver for my 3com fiber card (which
they later provided me a binary only driver). Honestly though, this is a
huge encroachment on the merits of the GPL and I was hoping that with
the Cisco aquisition they would show some character and release the
sources (at least the kernel source) so that we can build drivers for
hardware (like the PERC/MegaRaid controllers found in Dell servers).
Even if it was offered as an auxillary CD -- I wouldn't mind, but the
fact that its not included -- and, almost unobtainable through normal
channels -- leads me to question why Cisco/Perfigo doesn't want us to
have it. Anybody else here have any conversations with Cisco, about
maybe even the possibility of getting the Kernel source (with whatever
mods perfigo has made over the stock kernel)? And does Cisco have any
plans for upgrading to a more modern release or distribution (CentOS?
RHEL?)?

--
John Stauffacher, CISSP
Network Administrator