CLEANACCESS Archives

March 2005

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Bower, Anne" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 10:33:14 -0500
So far, we haven't been using Perfigo to check for DAT versions -
trusting that ePolicy Orchestrator (which we do require via Perfigo) was
taking care of that.  I've found a few instances of that not being the
case, though, and have been considering requiring minimum DATs via
Perfigo.  Unfortunately, Perfigo doesn't give "greater than or equal to"
as an option for strings.  NAI's switch to daily DATs just cranks the
issue up a notch.

My current thinking is to create my own checks rather than using
Perfigo's, and do a bunch of them at a time, then update the rules
weekly or so.  So if I were starting today, I'd create checks for 4437,
4438, 4439... 4447, perhaps.  Then put a reminder in big red letters in
my calendar to update those every Monday!  I'm not happy about the
potential complications if I'm unexpectedly out and nobody remembers to
take over the job, though.

It's not as good as really checking for the latest DAT, but it's less
likely to fail people improperly.  If ePO is messed up this will catch
it, and if ePO isn't messed up then it will keep them fully updated.

If anybody else has a clever idea, I'd love to hear it...

-Anne

--
Anne H. Bower
Computing Support Analyst, Student Services