CLEANACCESS Archives

August 2006

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ken Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:58:56 -0400
Thanks for the tips, was pretty sure it was NIS, but we had added the
exception rules for it.

Just finished with 2 of the Home edition xp laptops.  The problem was
with the Norton Internet security suite firewall.  They had allowed cca
in their settings and even after turning off NIS it still didn't work.
However removing it completely allowed the cca agent to popup.  I then
put the colleges free to students norton 10.1.4 on the laptops so they
had av, we site licensed it since so many students don't run one.

The 3rd laptop i can't even uninstall NIS though, it just hangs when
bringing it up or running add/remove programs.  Figure i will have to
help them rebuild it.  Personally i don't care for NIS, twice my
brothers laptop has had updates that ended up blocking all internet
activity until it was reinstalled and repatched.

Ken Nelson
Network Manager
Marietta College