CLEANACCESS Archives

July 2007

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cal Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2007 15:11:27 -0400
Anthony Maszeroski wrote:
> We have several off-campus residences that require internet access but
> cannot be directly connected back to our main campus. Currently, we
> purchase Comcast cable modem service for these houses and utilize
> Linksys routers (they're cheap if they disappear) to share the
> connection among the residents.

We are just beginning to use Cisco 800 series SOHO VPN routers for just
this purpose. They work fine (one of the "test units" is on my home
network), but they connect back to our ASA VPN concentrator. You may
want to consider that option any way -- we rely on that VPN anywhere
communications need to be secured, whether wireless or remote to campus.
Several other ASAs are used as firewalls between network segments, other
than that it's a Cisco box, they're great. (Our core remains non-Cisco ;-)

--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"The finest workers in stone are not copper or steel tools, but the
gentle touches of air and water working at their leisure with a liberal
allowance of time." Henry David Thoreau