CLEANACCESS Archives

July 2005

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John Edrington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:00:56 -0400
> Can I ask what you do to register devices like Xbox, Play
> Station, etc.?

We don't officially support any client that can't
authenticate via the web based interface, as we don't have
the resources to be manually adding devices, especially since
they are becoming more and more common.

The "unofficial" workaround our helpdesk gives out to those
who ask is to use some sort of internet connection sharing
(most use the default 2 nic cards & a windows box) that
supports the required login method. They logon to the network
using their windows box and hook their Xbox into a second
network card on the windows box.

There are certainly disadvantages to promoting this method to
the student body (like what if a student gets the bright idea
to hook up an unauthorized wireless access point to their box
that is doing the internet connection sharing) but at this
point it is the only way a student can use Xbox live or ps2
over our network.

John Edrington
Oakland University