CLEANACCESS Archives

March 2006

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
LDGarner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2006 11:16:46 -0500
Danielle,

It depends on what your goal is.  If your goal is to protect the campus,
then you set the system up for port 80 and 443 (http and https traffic)
and let them use it if they want.  I've been assured that will keep any
problems from hitting us.  After all, you do not know how 'clean' the
guest machine is going to be.

If your goal is student's computers are infection free, then I don't
think there is any way it would work.  We have students using Windows XP
using the role we setup for Windows 98 and ME -- they don't want to deal
with our rules.  As long as they don't want instant messaging, email
clients other than web based, etc., we don't try to stop them.

Libby Garner
Kenyon College