CLEANACCESS Archives

August 2006

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Simon Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2006 11:05:04 -0400
Sidney,

The problem is you can't apply Critical update checks at all to Windows
2003, XP Media Edition or Tablet edition unless you apply the check to
Windows_All. This means a check that will successfully work against an
XP flavor OS, doesn't work on 2000 or 98/me boxes. While this may not be
a problem in your environment, it is for us.

For an AV rule, you can only apply the check XP/2k & 98/ME if you're
using the new AV rules. Granted, you could customize a pr_nav rule to
hit these additional OS versions, but it would be up to the admin to
maintain the rules and you would lose a great deal of functionality, ie
defs newer than the rule would fail, you'd only be supporting 3 AV
vendors, etc.

If there's something I'm overlooking when it comes to rule deployment,
please let me know.

Simon