CLEANACCESS Archives

August 2006

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Alex Lanstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2006 01:07:13 -0400
Well, we recently updated our inband cca to be a VG OOB and have been
pleased with the results.  There have been a few issues that are on the
annoying side, though.

1) when users log into cca and fail, there is a weird delay before they
show up on the "reports" view for the agent.  Sometimes it helps if they
log in twice, then we'll see the first login on the page

2) cca detecting patches that windows update does not.  sure enough,
when a user fails, that patch is not installed - but windows update says
there are no critical updates available. we've begun maintaining a list
of the most commonly seen failures, which you are more than welcome to
leech off: http://helpdesk.conncoll.edu/cca/

3) the hub/switch/AP support leaves something to be desired.  After
spec-ing it out with our netops I realize why things are the way that
they are, but it doesnt make the situation better

4) On the reports view it should show the switch and port they logged in
from.  We also had a sucker walk around with a laptop and label every
single switchport as the dorm room it goes to - showing the port
description would be nice.

5) on the agent, it should show them by default what they failed on, so
that they can attempt to perform self-remediation.

6) The "certified device search", just doesnt work.  you can search all
you want, but it doesnt search, it just refreshes the page.

we're running 4.0.2.  overall pleased with results - problems we see are
frequently due in part to messed up computers, but the bit where CCA
thinks a patch isn't installed but WU does is a bit sketchy.  I do
realize that you dont want to become a SUS/SMS server, but a little help
for the users would be nice.  we're lucky to have a few knowledgable
guys at the help desk that I feel comfortable with to give them access
to making changes to the role policies, but if that were not the case,
I'm pretty sure it would be hellish.

props to raj, alok, and prem for a great product all the way around - my
gripes are merely nusinces.

Alex