CLEANACCESS Archives

October 2005

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Eric Weakland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:19:59 -0400
All,

<rant>
Forgive me for sounding off, but I am a little frustrated - this is not
the first time there have been problems with AVG. . . and I feel that this
needs to be said.

As everyone who participates in this list is aware, the reputation of
initiatives in the ResNet problem space is very hard to maintain when
things break all of a sudden like this.  Maintaining student
belief/support in a system like CCA is an important aspect to the success
of initiatives with students.  Students pay to use the network/their
computer as part of their tuition - unlike in the business space where the
ability to change requirements on your users can be a little easier to
push through.

My staff and I spent over nine months testing every possible scenario that
we could, producing tons of documentation and generally worrying about
every detail.  We wrote up use cases and tested them.  We committed to the
idea of having (and paying for) redundant systems and test environments so
that we would NEVER deploy changes into production without rigorous
testing.  We paid a LOT of money to have Cisco take care of a portion of
the system and trusted that they would be just as dilligent in testing
their changes.

I know that the problem of antivirus vendors and their changes is
difficult, but that is why we have paid Cisco copious amounts.  Their
documentation and sales literature does not say - "Antivirus checks will
work some of the time, expect them to be problematic."  Cisco needs to
invest more in testing their changes.

It would seem to me that Cisco needs to also do at least the following:

IF support for all Antivirus vendors is untenable, reduce your list of
supported antivirus vendors.  Apologize profusely to schools who now have
to inform all the users of the unsupported Antivirus software.  In our
market research before deployment, AU found that almost all of the vendors
of computers used Antivirus products from one of 3 vendors.  We also
determined that we HAVE to have at least one "free" antivirus option.

</rant>

Thanks for listening,

Eric Weakland, CISSP
Director, Network Security